Friday, January 6, 2012

TGIF #21 - Reading Resolutions

Friday, January 6, 2012 with 4 comments


TGIF is hosted by Ginger at GReads!  In this weekly feature, Ginger poses a question to her followers and then asks everyone to link up at the end of the post, sharing their responses.




This Friday's Question:

Reading Resolutions: What are some of your reading goals for the new year?


#1 - Since I read 131 books for the 2011 Goodreads Reading Challenge and my goal was only 100, I challenged myself to read 150 in 2012.  I think it's doable, especially now that I'm a full-fledged audiobook addict.  :0)

#2 - Read more of the books currently on my shelves instead of running out and buying all of those new releases.  This includes all of the ebook deals and short stories I've downloaded to my Nook and forgotten about.  This will be hard for me, especially with all of the great novels slated for this year.

#3 - Write up my reviews as soon as I finish a book, or at least before starting a new one.  I often find myself 5-10 reviews behind each month because I go into this kind of depression after finishing most books, and the only way to escape that is diving right into the next book.  But I have a theory that maybe if I just got the review done and put my feelings in writing, the depression might lessen even before I start that next book.  But first, I have to catch up on the reviews from the end of last year that I haven't yet gotten to.  :0/

#4 - Stop buying so many print books and make better use of my Nook.  I admit it...I'm a sucker for a pretty cover.  And I love how nice these books look on my shelves.  But even though I just recently bought larger shelves, it already looks like I'm going to run out of room soon.  My dream is to have a library of my own someday...complete with a rolling ladder and everything.  But right now, I don't have the space, so if I don't want to have to start donating books, I have to be more selective in the print books I actually purchase.

#5 - Give contemporaries another try.  I love dystopians and fantasy and pretty much anything paranormal.  But give me real-life scenarios and I cringe.  In 2011, I branched out and actually started reading some adult novels (shocking, I know) at the insistence of friends because they informed me I was missing out on some really great paranormal series.  So, this year, I'm taking another recommendation from my fellow readers and I'm going to give some YA contemporary novels a go.  Not sure which ones yet, but I'm thinking some Sarah Dessen would be in order here.  I'm open to suggestions.  :D

What are your reading goals for 2012?  Are you hoarding books that you need to read, as well?

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, i need to get an e reader. I'm also running out of room. I want my own library too.. not the rolling ladder though, because I am clumsy and will surely fall the F off it. I would probably damage the floor with my fat ass, then have to trade my new library in for new hard wood. It would be a vicious cycle I tell you!

    Contemps. I just bought a bunch. I am trying to read them more. I'm getting burnt out on not real stuff. Plus, my daughter is already acting like a drama filled teen at 3 1/2. So it's like studying for me. lol. Have you read anna and the french kiss yet? I could look on your goodreads, but i'm to lazy. lol If you haven't, that's a great one! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I debated for the longest time about getting an e-reader. And right now, I mostly just use mine for e-gallies. Hence, the resolution. And I would worry about my fat ass on the ladder, too, but my hubby likes to do carpentry work, so I could just get him to fix it for me. Especially since he'll be the one to build it for me in the first place. :D

    Ha, I, too, have a drama-filled 3 1/2 yo -- well, she'll be 4 in March. So, I guess I'd better start studying, too, lol. No, I haven't read AatFK yet, but it's on my shelf. As is Lola and the boy Next Door. I've heard they're both great, so they'll be the first ones I read when I undertake that goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to start reading the books on my shelf - the pile is getting a little bit unmanageable at the moment (and that's being very very kind already). Here's to hoping we accomplish our resolution!

    Here's my TGIF post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LoL, well that's great your hubs is a carpenter and can fix things when your fat ass breaks them.. My husband works on the computer field, so I figure if I ever sit on my monitor, I'm set!

    Wow, we really do have a lot in common! Mine will be 4 in June. Love her to death, but she drives me nuts some days! :) Andrea's little girl is about the same age as ours.. we can start our own support group! lol

    Yay for having Anna, I was going to tell you if you didn't, I could send that with AMS when I mail it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...